Thursday, March 23, 2006

business travel - Miami Vice

I am feeling like Willy Loman lately - the traveling salesman. Since January, I've been to Colorado, Tuscon, Boston and Miami, and will be in Chicago soon too. Hopefully nothing then for a while.

Just got back from Miami - 80 plus degrees, high humidity, lots of concrete, low riding cars and big SUVs (why?), mansions and slums, cell phone towers disguised as palm trees (no kidding) and bad traffic.

Managed to get out for a run on Wednesday morning, followed by a dip in the hotel's outside pool. My running routes were limited - along a highway or through a gated upscale community. I chose the latter.

On our last night in town, our purported Miami expert led us on a wild goose chase through Miami Beach looking for a place to eat. This necessitated walking about 60 blocks (round trip from where we parked) to an outdoor restaurant. The meal was good (cumin/sunflower seed-crusted grouper on a bacalao cake) but my feet were killing me since I wore my dress shoes instead of the running shoes for this marathon outing.

Here is the view out my hotel room window:





















Here is a shot of the art deco hotel (name has changed since) where Gishani and I stayed years ago on a trip through Miami en route to Key West:





















And here is where we (my colleagues and I) ate dinner (view from our table outside):

1 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'looks more like a vacation to me!

;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home